14 Nov Underwriter – Pretoria Office
Safire Insurance Company Limited is a short-term insurer, with our head office based in Pietermaritzburg, Kwa-Zulu Natal. Founded in 1987, Safire has grown its’ products to include a wide range of short-term insurance products designed to meet the needs and demands of our clients.
Safire is a dynamic and accomplished organisation with a strong commitment to core values. We provide an outstanding corporate environment characterised by a foundation of effective communication, remarkable accomplishments, a culture of knowledge sharing, collaborative teamwork, and seamless cooperation.
We are looking for skilled and analytical domestic and commercial underwriters to join our short-term insurance team. Our underwriters play a crucial role in assessing and evaluating insurance requests, determine risk levels and making sound underwriting decisions.
THE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE INCLUDEs
- Evaluate insurance requests, policies and supporting documents to determine the level of risk.
- Utilise underwriting guidelines to assess client’s eligibility for coverage.
- Underwrite within the mandate and reinsurance parameters.
- All risks need to be assessed on policy inception, endorsement / changes policy renewals.
Calculation of premium
- Calculate premium based on risk factors.
- Make informed underwriting decisions.
- Document and record decisions communicated to stakeholders.
Compliance and Regulations
- Stay informed with industry regulations and internal underwriting guidelines.
- Ensure all underwriting practices are in full compliance with legal and company rules.
- Collaborate with all stakeholders to clarify underwriting requirements and address enquiries.
- Provide clear and professional communication regarding underwriting decisions.
- Conduct periodic audits to ensure adherence to underwriting guidelines.
- Implement quality control measures to maintain the accuracy and consistency of underwriting practices.
Policy Endorsements and Renewals
- Process policy endorsements and amendments to existing policies.
- Ensure renewal processes are carried out accurately and efficiently.
Documentation and Record-Keeping
- Maintain organised and secure records of underwriting decisions, correspondence, and reports.
- Proactively suggest process improvements and contribute to the development of underwriting guidelines and policies.
THE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Tertiary qualification in insurance and / or bachelor’s degree in finance, business, or related field.
- FAIS Regulatory Examination (RE5) (advantageous).
- Adhere to all FAIS Fit and Proper requirements.
- Experience as domestic and / or commercial short-term underwriter, minimum 3 years.
THE COMPETENCIES WE REQUIRE ARE
- Strong analytical and underwriting decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of short-term insurance principles and industry regulations.
- Technically proficient with insurance products relevant to type of insurance being offered.
- Proficiency in the relevant short-term insurance legislation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Can work under pressure and with a sense of urgency and assertiveness.
- Ability to work independently, work as part of a team and enjoy collaboration.
- Act ethically and respectfully in every situation.
- Willingness to embrace new ideas.
- Diligent, reliable and detail orientated.
- Highly organised and deliver work on time and to the highest standard.
- Build strong and cohesive relationships with all relevant stakeholders.
- Proficiency in the MS Office Suite.
How to apply
If you think that you are the perfect fit for the position, please apply by emailing your CV to: email@example.com
Safire is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
By expressing interest and applying for the opportunity advertised, the applicant understands and agrees that they are providing their personal information for the purposes of prospective employment. Any information supplied to Safire Insurance Company Ltd (“Safire”) is provided voluntarily and therefore constitutes specific, voluntary consent to the processing of such information. Your personal information will be processed for:
- Facilitating your application for employment.
- Conducting various reference / background checks.
- The legitimate interest of the company and/or yourself, both during the recruitment process and thereafter; and
- Any statutory or regulatory compliance (where applicable).
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information. Subject to the requirements of applicable South
African law, you can, at any time, instruct Safire to cease the processing of your personal information and / or request that Safire delete
and / or de-identify such personal information.
The appointment of candidates is at the sole discretion of Safire. Regrettably, an application will not entitle the applicant to an interview
or appointment and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within four weeks of applying, please
consider your application unsuccessful.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.