Who drives your car?

As always with insurance, full upfront disclosure is essential. Your insurance policy may require that you disclose who will be driving your vehicle, and failure to comply with this may result in a claim being disputed or even rejected. Insuring a vehicle that is driven by a younger driver might be more costly, as it is proven that inexperienced drivers have more road accidents than people who have been driving for years and are therefore a higher risk. However, it is worth it to be upfront about who the regular or nominated driver of the vehicle is going to be, to ensure full insurance cover is in place. Please note that some policies may not require disclosure of driver details, so refer to your individual policy.

If your car is involved in an accident, the driver must be compliant with legal requirements and have a valid driver’s licence for the type of vehicle being driven. Naturally, they cannot be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances that could affect their ability to drive when the accident occurs. It is important to note the difference between being “under the influence” and “under the limit”. A driver could be under the legal limit for alcohol consumption but could still be considered to be “under the influence” if they have had a few drinks. A zero alcohol limit is safest for drivers.

You also need to notify us if you move to a different town or province or change the location where you work, because different rates apply to different areas in which the vehicle is regularly used and where the vehicle is kept when not in use. Similarly, we need to be told if you decide to change what the vehicle is being used for (private or business use). Upfront disclosure will ensure that we are fully aware of the risk that we are insuring and you will have peace of mind that you are fully covered in the event of a claim.